Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More insanity….and more practical stuff

I said I was going to start on gear tips this time. I still may. First though, I want to cover something that quite frankly p****s me off. Courtesy of the AP and Seattle Post Intelligencer, though I actually heard it last night on KFI 640. On Saturday the 23rd someone broke into a preschool and stole their class pet, replacing said pet with fliers protesting the Ringling Brothers Circus. A preschool ladies and gents. Apparently, stealing rabbits in Seattle is a quite popular practice. When PETA’s useful idiots aren’t shaking down fast food joints anyway. I’m all for being kind to animals. But this was not being kind to animals. This was simply cruel. Having known a few preschool teachers in my life, I can say with fair certainty that the bunny in question was not treated cruelly by its owners. In fact, I think it’s safe to say Sugar was well taken care of.

To the person who took the rabbit in question – do you feel better now? Do you? Knowing that you just broke the hearts of a bunch of three, four and five-year-olds? I’m not sure what would be more fitting. You being cornered by the parents; or being confronted by a gaggle of Pre-K’s with wooden blocks. It’s truly people like our Bunnynapper in Seattle that sometimes make me question my faith in humanity.

I don’t have a lot to spare for obvious reasons. But I’ll give twenty bucks to the guy or gal who winds up responsible for Bunnynapper in Seattle going behind bars. I know, maybe I should contribute to some other cause. But hey, it’s my cash. Besides, seeing this jerk sprawled on a cop’s windshield while watching the news would be extremely satisfying. It would if I had a TV to watch it on. Anyone else interested in such an effort? Maybe we could send it to ‘Crimestoppers’ in Seattle or something.

Back to the grindstone.

Okay, before my blood pressure rises even higher. Back to what I was supposed to be talking about – compressing the gear. How it’s important to narrow down your gear and get rid of anything you don’t need. Since when you don’t have a place, storage is obviously at a premium. We started on the wardrobe last post. That post talked briefly about getting together a set of interchangeable outfits; along with a few good shirts and ties to round it out. Obviously that was geared towards guys, since I am one. If there’s a gal out there who wants to put up some tips geared towards the feminine audience let me know.

Like I said before, this is not something you have to do all at once. For me, going through the gear’s been an ongoing process. Find some ‘me time’ and go through your stuff. Divide it into essential, may need later (like when you get in a place again), and non-essential. Among the things you may overlook – vital records. I’m talking about your birth certificate, Social Security card, insurance, will, college transcripts, DD-214, etc. Find a safe place to store these. If you can as time permits, get them scanned and on disk.

Another important thing is medical information. It’s probably not practical to carry your medical records with you. But if you have ongoing treatment, take a lot of meds, or have a condition it’s not a bad idea to get some basic information together. Stick with one simple word document. Put down your name, points of contact for your doctor and any emergency contact you like. List your medications (name, dose etc.) and what they’re for. Then list any medical conditions (diabetes, genetic, etc.) followed by allergies. If something happens to you, that information will help the docs on scene considerably. You can put it on a floppy, cheapie flash drive, or keep a hardcopy in your bag.

Okay we’ve gone way over a page, so that’s my cue. Once again, if you’re in the same tacsit, or just have a random comment, fire away. This is a learning experience in progress after all. Til next post, it's 2207 days since 9/11 and still no one's caught Osama Bin Laden, and at 47 days and counting, I'm still homeless.

Update: Fixed a link.

No comments: